Thursday, August 7, 2008

Remember El Tesoro? It's been over 20 years since I last visited. Many, many fun times were had when I went on camping trips with Blue Birds growing up. I think I must have been around the 2nd-4th grade age. Well, Logan has been on the board for Camp Fire this past year so that's kind of reminded us about El Tesoro. We've been trying to get out there for a tour for the past couple months. We picked one of the hottest days in July to do it but it was worth the time in the heat to rediscover what a fun and beautiful place this is. Even though you don't see campers in any of these shots there was a camp session going on. The kids looked like they were having alot of fun. This first shot of is Ezra and me on the swinging bridge that you have to walk over to get into the camp. I think I have a picture of our family on this same bridge 20 years ago. I'm on the lookout for that photo now. MB -- any chance you've come across it?


Our tour guide Lisa chatting it up with Ezra J....

Robin Hood? Logan's first time ever to shoot an arrow.

Don't you wish you were this flexible?


8 comments:

Jenny said...

What a coincidence, Enno and I drove there in July and walked on the bridge, too. Lots of good memories when I was a camper there in '54, '55 and '56. I didn't remember that you went but now vaguely do, Meredith, does that ring a bell?

Cowtown Camera Girl said...

I didn't realize that you were a camper there too! I think Lisa told us El Tesoro has been around since 1936. Or maybe 1934. I went several times with Blue Birds along with my friend Meredith Livingston and her mom, Lynn, who was our Blue Bird troop leader.

Mary Bess said...

Wow, I remember going there and HATING it!!! Yuck...bugs! And you know, at the time I had no earthly idea where the camp was held...it just seemed like in some far away place. And if you had asked me today where it was I would not have known until Cowtown Camera Girl mentioned it here on this blog! Mystery solved! Might be interesting to go back for a 'look-see' today but not to stay!! LOL!

Ryan V. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grow with Griffin said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Love Ezra's flexible moves- where DO the boys get that from?!

Cowtown Camera Girl said...

So sad that you hated it! The whole time we were there we kept saying how we think it will be so fun for Ezra to go when he's a little older. They are about to start on a big renovation project that's suppose to take sometime like five years to complete. Sounds like they are going to be doing some really neat stuff. It's in Granbury. I never knew where it was either up until a few months ago. Just remember Lynn Livingston driving us there.

Francie said...

I never got to go, but I really hope that A & P get to go to Kanakuk. That's my only camp experience and I hope they enjoy it as much as I did.

Cowtown Camera Girl said...

I really, really, really want Ezra to go to Kanakuk. El Tesero would be a great place for us to go when Ezra is younger since it's so close to home. But I do hope that he makes it to Kanakuk eventually. Can you believe we went there for a month every summer? I think that's part of why it had such an impact on me.