Friday, May 1, 2009



Long time no post. Busy, busy, busy these days but going to try to catch up on a few things in our lives...

1. That first picture bring the biggest smile to my face every time I see it! We're pretty strict at our house about going outside with shoes. It was almost bedtime and we weren't planning to go outside. But what can you say when your 20 month old brings you his running shoes and keeps saying "out, out, out." Also, our cat has such patience with Ezra. I'm waiting for him to snap.

2. I'm living in bizarro world right now with 10 free days off of work. This whole swine flu thing is crazy. I personally think everyone is just a little bit overreacting but I will take an unexpected time off from work. Ezra's daycare is shut down too so we're getting some good time together.

3. Speaking of bizarro and the swine flu....yesterday I had the entire day to myself and that was really weird. Before we knew that school was canceled Nana had asked to watch Ezra for the day. She tries to do that once a week. So he still went to her house and I stayed home with no work and no baby.

4. Can't remember if I've posted this before but Ezra moved up into a new classroom at daycare last month. We really like where he is now and love his new teachers! Something else new in that classroom is no paci. We were kind of nervous about this but it wasn't a big deal at all. He's now paci free except for bedtime. :0)

5. Ezra is really into playing with legos these days. Thank you to Aunt Francie & Uncle Eric for this gift a few months ago.

6. We recently bought a family pass to the FW Zoo and go all the time now. It's great! I guess it's been about a month now and we've already gone probably five times. The zoo is so close to our house so it's so convenient. We usually go for about 45 minutes at a time which is perfect for us. Ezra's favorite animals -- flamingoes, mearcats, elephants.

7. We started doing time-outs with Ezra and they have been pretty effective. Why didn't we start these sooner! Ha! That 60 seconds that he's in timeout is hard for him (and for us to listen to) but we follow it up with a big hug and it usually puts an end to behavior that we don't like. Of course, we sometimes see it again later in the day but it's pretty good for ending it right then and getting Ezra focused again.

8. These days we're reading:

Logan - The Know it All: One Man's Humble Quest to be the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs

Nell - The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan

Ezra - No, David! by David Shannon, and Pete's a Pizza by William Steig

9. Logan's got another 100 mile race planned for the fall that he started training for last week. That of course makes me want to do something big. Not 100 mile big but maybe a marathon. We shall see. I'm always good when I have something to train for. Now that the weather has gotten warmer Ezra and I (and Logan and Ezra) have been doing lots of morning runs before school/work. Every day Logan and I trade off with Ezra while the other one goes to the gym. I've been able to get in two days a week of yoga and Logan works out with a trainer two days a week. On the other days we each run with Ezra. I take Ezra to daycare and then come home for a quick shower and head off to work. So for my daycare friends who see me in the morning looking oh so pretty and smelling oh so good -- so sorry! Ha! It makes for one healthy Mama though. :0)

10. We've got something really big in the works at our house! Stay tuned. It's very exciting!

11 comments:

Francie said...

When I saw the first pic, I immediately thought, 'We're Going Streaking!' I'm a big fan of the family memberships. Most places that offer them, make them a great value. The Zoo is great. Some day you should move up to the Fort Worth Science Center. So convenient for you, so many cool exhibits, and great shows at the Omni. We LOVE our membership to Fossil Rim!

Poppyseed said...

LOVE the first picture! Looks like he's heading out for his first marathon or something. And the fact that he can't go outside without shoes, but pants and a shirt are optional cracks me up. :)

Jenny said...

Ezra is soooo smart! I miss him tooo much. Enno has been talking all day about his bringing his shoes to you and saying "out".
Love, Mimi

palouseygoosey said...

You guys ARE busy! Good to hear that it is healthy busy though. I saw the FWISD admin building behind the CNN reporter last week at the gym here in Idaho and was in shock! SO many days off. Will you postpone TAKS testing? Will you have to make up those days in the summer or will the state make a special allowance?

Mary Bess said...

Wow! What a nice break! I still have that payment to get to you.....maybe tomorrow? I'll call you!

Love the photos of Ezra and Socks! Too cute!

I, too, think everyone is overreacting to the swine flu thing...too much hype and hysteria!

Lauren, Daniel, James and baby Brendan. said...

Hi Nell!
SOOOO glad you posted. Have missed reading about the Valdez family. We are super busy too, so I know what you mean about that. Thanks for the update on everyone. Enjoy your time off of school. We are still going but everyone anticipates we will be having to shut soon. As soon as school is out we have to schedule some play dates for our little dudes. Maybe we can come meet you at the zoo. Talk soon! :-)

Farmer Girl said...

That's what Ryan should start wearing when he goes running. Ezra would be proud.

Cowtown Camera Girl said...

Ok, that cracks me up about going streakin. Ezra would be first in line to do that. We've been reading "No, David!" over and over and over again and there's this one page where David is running down the street naked. Totally makes me think of Ezra.

Just found out that we're going back to school on Thursday. It was originally suppose to be next Monday so this is two school days earlier. It's been a nice break but it will be good to go back and wrap up the school year. We've got a busy summer planned!

Not sure what they are doing about TAKS test. That's what really surprised me about fwisd shutting down. They are so serious on this TAKS business so I couldn't believe they would shut school down in the middle of TAKS week.

And yes, we have already been to the zoo twice this week on our week off. We might go again tomorrow. It really is such a great place!

Grow with Griffin said...

I am catching up on your blog FINALLY!!! I love this post so much! Lots of good updates and the pics of Ezra are so hilarious!!! I totally had the thought in my head of Will Ferrell in Old School about going streaking--- I think someone else said that above :) Too funny! Hope you enjoyed your time off- Talk with you soon Girl!

Uncle Sean said...

All I can think of has already been said but it is too funny. SO he got tennis shoes, but no clothes. Very interesti.

dena said...

the zoo has saturday classes in the fall and the spring. i'm sure you'll get info on it with your pass. i did them with roman when he was ezra's age and he loved them! at that age, mom or dad get to go too, so it's a fun time.

and, good grief nell, what time do you get up in the AM???!!! i'm tired just reading that schedule. go girl go! :)